Wonderful College Prep Academy is a charter network in California's Central Valley committed to providing a world-class education for all students. The Academy's mission is to graduate students prepared to earn a college degree and to put them on a promising career path for life. We believe this begins with a nurturing, engaging, community-centered school environment where students develop a strong and well-rounded academic foundation. Ultimately, this will prepare generations of leaders in the Central Valley who are critical thinkers and life-long learners.
The Academy's first school opened in Delano in 2009, serving students from across the Central Valley in grades 6-12. In 2016, we moved to our new, state-of-the-art college prep campus in Delano, and in the Fall of 2017, added an elementary school in Delano and opened a second charter school in Lost Hills. In Delano, we serve over 1,800 students in grades TK-12, while in Lost Hills, we serve over 400 students in grades TK-12.
Our students have access to technology in all grades, from hands-on STEM learning for younger students in a fully equipped "maker's space" to school-provided laptops for older students. The Academy aims to provide every opportunity for our students that often is not found in public or charter schools, including the ability to graduate from high school with a free Associate Degree. Through a unique partnership with Bakersfield College, our students enroll in college classes starting in 9th grade and complete all their A-G requirements, in addition to their AS Degree requirements over the course of four years. In addition, all graduates are eligible to earn a four-year renewable college scholarship through the generous support of Lynda and Stewart Resnick.
We seek thoughtful, inclusive, skilled communicators, and creative problem-solvers who value continuous learning and who are excited to serve our students and families. Now is the time to join a team making enduring change within the Central Valley of California and beyond!
Click here to learn more about the Wonderful Company's other great philanthropic partnerships.
Under the supervision and direction of the Expanded Learning Manager and Expanded Learning Site Lead, the Expanded Learning Mentor (ELM) will develop and implement academic and enrichment activities for groups of 20 students in grades 1st - 8th and/or groups of 10 in grade TK or Kindergarten.
Due to the nature of this role, ELMs must maintain a high level of ethical and professional behavior due to access to confidential student information about Wonderful College Prep Academy scholars. All ELMs will be required to participate in ongoing staff professional development activities.
*Position is contingent on program need and funding.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assist the Expanded Learning Manager, Coordinator, and Site Lead in developing, organizing, and implementing activities that promote the mission of the program.
- Work with team members to plan and lead focused activities to embed positive behavior.
- Plan and lead enrichments, physical education, and homework assistance to a group of 20 students.
- Enhance the quality of the program by encouraging student engagement through intentional planning of activities which include, but not limited to: enrichment clubs, field trips, homework support, and nutrition access.
- Record student attendance and submit daily to the Program Site Lead no later than fifteen (15) minutes into the start of your session each day.
- Supervise and ensure the safety of students at all times.
- Responsible for daily set-up and clean-up of all materials used during the program.
- Ensure that classrooms and school spaces utilized during the program are clean and orderly.
- Ensure programs and activities adhere to current health and wellness protocols.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships and work effectively with management, other employees, and persons contacted throughout the course of work.
- Arrive to work at your scheduled time every day (including intersession days) and be prepared to work on your lesson plans during the daily prep time. Note: Schedules are subject to change based on program needs.
- Coordinate structured play before, during, and after school.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of one (1) year prior experience working in an expanded learning environment.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with students, families, and staff of diverse ethnic, racial, cultural, educational, and economic backgrounds.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Reliable transportation and a valid CA driver’s license.
- The ability to fluently speak Spanish, preferred.
- CPR & First Aid certified, preferred.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team setting.
- Strong leadership skills in planning and implementing activities.
- Ability to successfully pass a background check (including fingerprints) upon official offer and acceptance of a position with WCPA.
- Environment: Office and classroom environment; fast paced work, constant interruptions.
- Physical requirements: Hearing and speaking to exchange information, make presentations and communicate over the telephone; seeing to read, prepare, and proofread documents and view computer monitors; sitting or standing for extended periods of time; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard and other office equipment; kneeling, bending at the waist, and reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally, to retrieve and store files and supplies; lifting light objects; ability to go to sites apart from primary office to conduct business.
- Wonderful College Prep Academy offers highly competitive compensation, commensurate with experience, which includes generous performance bonuses.
- Full-time staff benefits include medical coverage, dental, vision, and life insurance at no cost to the employee. We also offer an optional 403b, with company match, as a supplement to STRS retirement pension.
- In addition, employees have free access to the Wonderful Wellness Center and gym.
Quality of Life in the Central Valley:
Framed by the Sierra Nevada to the east and the Coast Ranges to the west, California's Central Valley is one of the world's most productive agricultural regions and the base of The Wonderful Company's agricultural operations. This vast area enjoys a moderate climate and offers residents a high quality of life, low cost of living, and a host of diverse cultural and recreational activities. From wine tasting and hiking to rafting, fishing, skiing, and surfing -- all within a two-hour drive -- the family-friendly Central Valley has much to offer.
EEO is the law - click here for more information
Sign up for job alerts
Submit your email address and stay up to date on job alerts and other Wonderful career opportunities.
Join our Wonderful Talent Community
Interested in becoming part of Wonderful one day? Join today to start receiving exciting updates about our company, our employees, and our culture.