JUSTIN Vineyards & Winery is located in the Paso Robles region of California's Central Coast. We operate with a desire to make world class wines that reflect the unique soil and climate of the area. We take great pride in making Bordeaux-style blends and single varietals, combining Old World tradition with New World techniques.
The JUSTIN Production team is seeking a new Laboratory Technician II to join the Lab team at JUSTIN. The Laboratory Technician primary responsibility is to work with the Winemaking and Production department to assist with lab, bottling, and wine tracking functions. Under the direction of the Enologist, this person will perform routine chemical analysis on fermenting and finished wines, standardize equipment daily as well as troubleshoot or calibrate when needed, data entry, train harvest interns, and any other projects that will require the lab’s assistance. This position requires the ability to manage the laboratory’s daily workflow, follow directions safely, accurately and in a timely manner.
This position will be based in Paso Robles at our Wisteria Lane location. The work schedule for this position is Monday to Friday, 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM, with the exception of harvest season (August to November) when overtime and weekend work may be required.
- Plans and schedules lab workflow. Accurately estimate task durations, prioritize analyses based on urgency and impact, and adjust schedules to meet deadlines without compromising quality
- Performs daily routine analysis, but not limited to: total acidity (TA), free & total sulfur dioxide, residual sugar (RS) and malic acid (ML), volatile acidity and alcohol
- Performs any harvest analysis pertaining to grape maturity, juice analysis, and fermentation tank or barrel tracking/monitoring
- Operates laboratory instruments such as Y15 Automatic Analyzer, refractometer, density meter, pH meter, Alcolyzer, turbidimeter, and other instruments as required to perform duties
- Capability to understand and operate a Gas Chromatograph for bottling QC
- Additions and preparations of wine additives and cultures to tanks and barrels
- Ability to prioritize analyses and process laboratory samples efficiently
- Responsible for data entry of all lab results into the laboratory information management system in a timely manner
- Selects and prepares chemical solutions used in the laboratory.
- Supports the training of new employees and seasonal interns.
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned by the Enologist including, but not limited to, sampling, trial blending, benchtop trials, cleaning, administrative duties, and special projects
- Obtain wine samples from tanks and barrels
- Must immediately inform Winemaking Team of any situation that could jeopardize wine quality
- Able to maintain, calibrate or perform any troubleshooting required for all laboratory instruments
- Assist with all Lab SOPs, inventory of materials and work with vendors for purchasing needs
- Responsible for understanding all safety procedures including hazardous materials handling, storage, and disposal
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field (Enology, Chemistry, Food Science, etc.) and (1-2) years previous winery experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and ability to learn new programs
- Ability to establish direction, obtain commitment and execute appropriate production processes
- Demonstrate strong ability to work under pressure
- Able to adhere to safety procedures, company polices and act as a role model to others
- Solution-driven, willingness to make timely and accurate decisions
Pay Range: $22.00 - $26.00 per hour. Final compensation will be dependent upon skills and experience.
- Competitive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), Vision, Dental and 401k with match eligibility
- Opportunities for development and internal mobility
- Manager and leadership training, biweekly L&OD webinars, and eLearning offerings
- Companywide problem solving and continuous improvement training
- Wonderful Giving (wonderfulgiving.com) - allowing you to donate company money to a cause of your choice
- Company prioritizes wellness through its Wonderful NOW (Nourish Our Wellness) initiative, which provides a robust suite of wellness offerings such as access to mental health resources and life coaching, employee community groups, cash rewards for healthy habits, and on-demand fitness videos
Located in Paso Robles, JUSTIN® Vineyards & Winery was founded in 1981 and is known for crafting world- class wines using Bordeaux grape varieties, including the iconic ISOSCELES® blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot. The Vineyard estate, located at 11680 Chimney Rock Road, features a Tasting Room, luxury five-star accommodations at the JUST Inn®, and a Restaurant—making it one of the only wineries on the Central Coast to offer all three options. In September 2018, a new second location, the JUSTIN Downtown Tasting Room opened introducing an expansive wine-tasting bar, lounge, and a full dining room that’s situated prominently on the square along Downtown City Park in the heart of Paso Robles. In addition to its stellar hospitality, JUSTIN consistently receives top honors around the world, establishing itself as a leader in New World Bordeaux-style winemaking. JUSTIN wines are available through discerning fine wine retailers and restaurants throughout the United States, or directly from the Winery via JUSTIN’s Tasting Room, online store or to members of the exclusive JUSTIN Wine Society wine club. To discover more about JUSTIN, visit www.justinwine.com.We are pleased to share with you The Wonderful Company’s new Corporate Social Responsibility website: www.csr.wonderful.com.
The Wonderful Company is an Equality Opportunity Employer that provides opportunities for advancement. We are committed to creating a diverse workforce that embodies a deep culture of acceptance, equity, and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, region, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories.
EEO is the law - click here for more information
Sign up for job alerts
Submit your email address and stay up to date on job alerts and other Wonderful career opportunities.
Join our Wonderful Talent Community
Interested in becoming part of Wonderful one day? Join today to start receiving exciting updates about our company, our employees, and our culture.