Wonderful College Prep Academy is a charter network in California's Central Valley committed to providing a world-class education for all students. The Academy's mission is to graduate students prepared to earn a college degree and to put them on a promising career path for life. We believe this begins with a nurturing, engaging, community-centered school environment where students develop a strong and well-rounded academic foundation. Ultimately, this will prepare generations of leaders in the Central Valley who are critical thinkers and life-long learners.
The Academy's first school opened in Delano in 2009, serving students from across the Central Valley in grades 6-12. In 2016, we moved to our new, state-of-the-art college prep campus in Delano, and in the Fall of 2017, added an elementary school in Delano and opened a second charter school in Lost Hills. In Delano, we serve over 1,800 students in grades TK-12, while in Lost Hills, we serve over 400 students in grades TK-12.
Our students have access to technology in all grades, from hands-on STEM learning for younger students in a fully equipped "maker's space" to school-provided laptops for older students. The Academy aims to provide every opportunity for our students that often is not found in public or charter schools, including the ability to graduate from high school with a free Associate Degree. Through a unique partnership with Bakersfield College, our students enroll in college classes starting in 9th grade and complete all their A-G requirements, in addition to their AS Degree requirements over the course of four years. In addition, all graduates are eligible to earn a four-year renewable college scholarship through the generous support of Lynda and Stewart Resnick.
We seek thoughtful, inclusive, skilled communicators, and creative problem-solvers who value continuous learning and who are excited to serve our students and families. Now is the time to join a team making enduring change within the Central Valley of California and beyond!
Wonderful College Prep Academy has a unique partnership with the Wonderful Company. Click here to learn more about the Wonderful Company's other great philanthropic partnerships.
Reporting to the Chief Business Officer, the Director of State and Federal Compliance will foster meaningful relationships with external and internal stakeholders to effectively manage critical compliance-related projects at the local, county, and state levels with particular emphasis on categorical funding controls. Compliance projects include CALPADS annual data reporting, attendance apportionment reporting, student information systems, authorizer compliance and oversight management, Williams Visits, project management of charter renewals, WASC accreditation, grant compliance, budget development, and teacher credentialing. The role is responsible for planning, controlling, and directing the implementation and evaluation of state, federal, and grant programs and will serve as the liaison with other local, state, and federal agencies concerning the effective oversight of these critical efforts.
Essential Job Functions:
- Project management and collaboration with Senior Leadership on the development and completion of federal, state, and local regulatory compliance requirements including ensuring effective communication with key education partners including CDE, KCSOS, network leadership, external partners, and board of directors, as needed.
- Responsible for overseeing the annual compliance calendar in collaboration with key and relevant staff, ensuring timely compliance with all federal, state, and local requirements.
- In partnership with the Executive Leadership Team, plan, organize, and coordinate timely collection and submission of required compliance reports for each school site such as ConApp, SARC, LCAP, CBEDS, CRDC, and other related requirements.
- Develop tools, SOPs, resources, and best practices to ensure categorical information is accessible and in compliance with federal and state regulations and statutes.
- Ensure required attendance reports and apportionment data meet standards for annual auditing purposes.
- In partnership with the Child Nutrition team, manage Mealtime data ensuring accurate extracts into CALPADS.
- Assist sites in the development and monitoring of annual program applications and reviews in partnership with School sites.
- Communicate categorical and special program policies, guidelines, objectives, and procedures to school leaders, education partners, and administrators.
- In partnership with the key central office departments, manage the collection and analysis of school reports, school plans, and data, and disseminate annual categorical and special program evaluations.
- Provide technical expertise, information, and assistance to the Executive Team regarding assigned roles and responsibilities as it relates to compliance identifying trends, and issues, and communicating updated regulations.
- Provide training to school sites and key central office staff regarding the implementation of data transmissions, categorical program requirements, and accurate personnel coding ensuring network-wide state, federal, and grant compliance.
- Work closely with key central office departments to coordinate program budgets as it relates to categorical programming.
- Attend and participate in professional development to stay apprised of new trends and innovations in the field of educational and technological services to facilitate timely and accurate submission of required federal, state, and grant reporting.
- Manage annual charter authorizer visits in collaboration with key WCPA Teams, ensuring all required documentation is collected and shared with the authorizer in a timely manner.
- Oversee charter renewal process in partnership with key WCPA teams ensuring all required documentation, data, and information is shared with the authorizer in a timely manner.
- Oversee WASC renewal process for both school sites in partnership with key WCPA teams ensuring all required documentation, data, and information is shared with WASC representatives in a timely manner.
- Analyze and report, in partnership with key central office teams, on student achievement data, program design, and implementation and effectiveness of categorical programs, assessments, and professional development, as it relates to LCAP reporting.
- Work with the business team in the development preparation of the sites’ annual budgets and analyze financial capacities ensuring expenditures are in accordance with established guidelines with a special focus on Title funding restrictions and allocations.
- Conducting internal reviews, audits, and monitoring activities to ensure teacher credentialing requirements are met prior to the annual authorizer visit and in advance of annual CalSAAS state reporting.
- Assist key central office personnel in Board oversight to ensure all board activities meet required state and federal standards with particular attention to the Brown Act.
- Other duties as assigned and in alignment with local, state, and federal compliance, including but not limited to CALPADS, categorical compliance, student information and data extracts, authorizer oversight and renewal, WASC, budget development, and board management.
- A BA/BS from a recognized college or university preferably with a major in a related field.
- Minimum of eight years of K-12 school program management experience, preferably in Charter schools.
- Four years of management experience in at least two of the following areas: auditing, compliance, fiscal management, or other related areas in a public organization.
- CBO training, a plus
- Passion for working with traditionally underserved communities in high-performance settings.
- Strong execution and leadership abilities including inspirational vision, conflict management, team building, mentoring and coaching, goal-setting, prioritization, and strategic planning.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, orally and in writing.
- Organized and self-managed, able to handle many responsibilities simultaneously.
- Excellent problem-solver.
- Proven ability to collaborate and build relationships with Senior Leaders, and internal and external stakeholders.
- Self-reflective leader who is committed to ongoing learning and growth.
- Dependable and excellent at follow-through.
- Commitment to our organization's mission and educational philosophy.
- Environment: Office environment; fast-paced work, constant interruptions.
- Physical requirements: Hearing and speaking to exchange information, make presentations and communicate over the telephone; seeing to read, prepare, and proofread documents and view computer monitors; sitting or standing for extended periods of time; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard and other office equipment; kneeling, bending at the waist, and reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally, to retrieve and store files and supplies; lifting light objects; ability to go to sites apart from primary office to conduct business.
Pay Range: $115,000 - $130,000; Final compensation will be dependent upon skills & experience.
- Wonderful College Prep Academy offers highly competitive compensation, commensurate with experience, which includes generous performance bonuses.
- Full-time staff benefits include medical coverage, dental, vision, and life insurance at no cost to the employee. We also offer an optional 403b, with company match, as a supplement to the STRS retirement pension.
- In addition, employees have free access to the Wonderful Wellness Center and gym.
Quality of Life in the Central Valley:
Framed by the Sierra Nevada to the east and the Coast Ranges to the west, California's Central Valley is one of the world's most productive agricultural regions and the base of The Wonderful Company's agricultural operations. This vast area enjoys a moderate climate and offers residents a high quality of life, a low cost of living, and a host of diverse cultural and recreational activities. From wine tasting and hiking to rafting, fishing, skiing, and surfing -- all within a two-hour drive -- the family-friendly Central Valley has much to offer.
EEO is the law - click here for more information
Sign up for job alerts
Submit your email address and stay up to date on job alerts and other Wonderful career opportunities.
Join our Wonderful Talent Community
Interested in becoming part of Wonderful one day? Join today to start receiving exciting updates about our company, our employees, and our culture.