Are you ready to embark on a thrilling voyage in the world of maritime safety, quality, and environmental excellence?
If you're a dedicated, safety-conscious professional with previous experience on board a vessel then apply now!
Neptune Pacific Direct Line (NPDL) is experiencing a period of significant transformation. Formed in 2020, Neptune Pacific Line acquired Pacific Direct Line, bringing together two of the South Pacific’s top shipping and logistics companies to support the full supply chain of our customers in the region. NPDL is part of The Wonderful Company headquartered in Los Angeles, CA. Its other companies include FIJI Water, Justin and Landmark Vineyards, Vintage Nurseries, Wonderful Citrus, Wonderful Pistachios, Teleflora, POM Wonderful and Suterra.
Neptune Pacific Line’s Ship Management Team is entrusted with the crucial task of ensuring the secure, dependable, and compliant operation of our fleet, consisting of container, general cargo, and other managed vessels. These vessels primarily operate across the dynamic Asia Pacific region, encompassing New Zealand and Australia. Our unwavering commitment revolves around the perpetual enhancement of our ship management endeavors, all guided by the overarching aspiration to stand out as a pinnacle ship manager.
As our Marine HSQE Co-ordinator, you will be the linchpin of excellence, charged with seamlessly orchestrating the deployment and perpetual enhancement of our Health, Safety, Quality, and Environmental (HSQE) management system within our fleet's operations. At the helm of this mission, they stand as the steadfast guardian of a secure, regulatory-compliant, and environmentally sustainable working haven for all our dedicated shipboard personnel. Your role transcends mere oversight; it's a dynamic dance of innovation. You will take the lead in delivering high-impact HSQE training, igniting a dedication to safety and environmental stewardship that pulses through the very core of our operations. You will cultivate a thriving culture of unwavering commitment to safety and environmental consciousness.
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Spearhead ship inspections, uncovering optimal port arrival practices.
- Vigilantly assess the condition of lifting gear, spreaders, forklifts, and equipment, promptly notifying Vessel Management when equipment falls short.
- Champion incident investigations, ensuring thorough probes into marine-related mishaps and accidents, and swiftly implementing corrective and preventive actions.
- Scrutinize safe access between ship and shore, promptly addressing any lapses with Vessel Management.
- Identify training needs and provide expert guidance to stevedores on cargo safety.
- Elevate awareness and proficiency in cargo lashing gear among stevedores to minimize risk.
- Assess the availability and review lifting procedures and rigging plans for spreaders, trucks, and special cargo vessels.
- Act as a tireless safety advocate and catalyst, cultivating a pervasive safety culture.
- Collaborate with the HSQE team to continually enhance the Safety Management System.
- Work closely with the HSQE team to enhance various Smart PAL modules.
- Regularly review PPE compliance for both ship and shore staff, reporting any identified gaps or risks.
- Champion a culture of environmental care and stewardship, fostering near-miss reporting to prevent workplace injuries and accidents.
- Promote the identification of snap-back zones and no-go areas during cargo operations.
- Assess ship-terminal mooring arrangements and highlight necessary improvements to management.
- Cultivate risk assessment and mitigation strategies for dangerous goods, chemicals, oversized, and special cargoes.
- Review electrical precautions when handling reefer containers.
- Meticulously maintain records and documentation pertaining to HSQE matters, encompassing incident reports, audit findings, and compliance records.
- Collaborate with the Chief Engineer to ensure the proper setting of safety limits before crane handovers.
- Generate comprehensive inspection reports for each visit, aligning with defined objectives and in consultation with HSQE team members.
Here’s what you’ll bring to the table:
- Proven track record on container and dry cargo vessels, up to the level of 2nd Mate or 3rd Engineer.
- Expertise in marine operations, especially in roles related to safety, quality, or environmental management.
- Previous involvement in port state control inspections, including longshoreman inspections.
- Strong commitment to and proficiency in promoting a culture of safety.
- Prior experience collaborating with multinational crews.
- Familiarity with port and terminal cargo operations in the Pacific Islands.
- Exceptional communication skills, with a knack for training others effectively.
- Keen attention to detail and excellent organizational abilities.
- Willingness and capability for extensive travel throughout the Pacific Islands, a crucial aspect of this role.
- Incident investigation training (desirable).
This full time, permanent role can be based in Parnell Auckland, NZ or in Suva, Fiji, requiring extensive travel to the Pacific Islands. You will have the right to live and work in New Zealand or Fiji at the time of applying. The successful candidate may be subject to undergo a Police Check and/or Pre-Employment Drug Test.
Our NPDL Contribution:
- Competitive benefits package (salary plus bonus)
- Opportunity for development and internal mobility
- Wonderful Giving (wonderfulgiving.com) - allowing you to donate company money to a cause of your choice
- Project Wonderful - Staff spend a day in the community helping with various projects
- Company focused on wellness and health
Ready to set sail on this exciting journey with us? Don't miss this opportunity to make waves in your career. Apply now to be part of our remarkable crew! Apply now and come aboard, and let's navigate a safer and more sustainable future together..
EEO is the law - click here for more information
Sign up for job alerts
Submit your email address and stay up to date on job alerts and other Wonderful career opportunities.
Join our Wonderful Talent Community
Interested in becoming part of Wonderful one day? Join today to start receiving exciting updates about our company, our employees, and our culture.